Public Realm Improvements to Old Town Street and New George Street
The changes you see being delivered here will transform these streets into a modern retail environment becoming “Plymouth’s Premier High Street” fit for the 21st Century.
This unique scheme is offering more than just an enhanced shopping experience, it’s creating an attractive and memorable destination for people to relax, enjoy a meal, play with their families and experience the future exciting events and activities being planned here.
The project is also delivering multiple benefits to the local environment and to the people of Plymouth, which include:
- An improved identity making the area a more attractive place to visit, shop, live and work,
- Improved connections between this city’s established destinations such as Plymouths Independent Quarter of the West End, Drake Circus, the Barcode, the Barbican and the Box,
- A high quality, safe and pedestrian friendly environment for all,
- New, exciting children’s play features for families to enjoy,
- An avenue of new street trees underplanted with drought tolerant plants resilient to climate change,
- A unique and innovative street lighting scheme,
- An innovative Sustainable Urban Drainage System, which uses water wisely, directing rainfall towards new rain gardens, irrigating new plants and trees, helping to protect this locality from flooding.
To remove conflict between people and vehicles we will be relocating Taxis out of Old Town Street and have already delivered new taxis ranks at St Andrews Cross and Eastlake Street ready for their use.
As with all changes to our streets there will be disruption while the work proceeds, but we will endeavour to keep this to the minimum and ensure access to shops and services is maintained at most times.
For more information, please see: